Day of the Dead celebrations are taking place all over Houston today and this weekend. For this week's KHOU CultureMap Moment, Channel 11 morning anchor Lily Jang and I visited Lawndale Art Center, where a number of activities are taking place, including a Family Day Fiesta, Saturday from noon - 4 p.m. It includes performances by Houston Grand Opera, Mixteco Ballet Folklorico and Paedarchy Puppets as well as children's activities, such as cutting papel picado and decorating sugar skulls.
Admission is free.
For the segment, Edward Sanchez, owner of Edward Sanchez Vanity Lounge, made up half of my face in a skeletal style, with flashes of festive red and green. Lawndale executive director Christine Jelson West explained that it's a day of celebration — a time to remember loved ones who have departed. Frankel's Costume Co. provided my ghoulish groom's attire.
Among other Day of the Dead events:
- Dia de los Muertos Party at Saint Arnold Brewing Company, Friday at 6 p.m.
- MECA Dia de los Muertos Calavera Rendezvous Fundraiser, Friday at 7 p.m.
- Dia De Los Muertos Party "Iluminaciónes y Calaveras" at Avant Garden, Friday at 8 p.m.
- MECA Dia de los Muertos Festival, Saturday at 11 a.m. and Sunday at 11 a.m.
- National Museum of Funeral History's Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead) Celebration, Saturday at noon.
- Day of the Dead Costume Party at Cuchara, Saturday at 7 p.m.
See the KHOU CultureMap Moment: