Editor’s note: It's time to recap the most popular stories on CultureMap from this past week:
1. Best Dressed socialite trades designer threads for prison garb and all we can say is, "Who knew?" One Houston socialite is being held in Harris County Jail, accused of money laundering involving illegal gambling.
2. Where to Eat Right Now: 10-plus new restaurants for October. Whether you're looking for delectable barbecue, Vietnamese cuisine, casual American eats or even fine dining, this month's Where to Eat Right Now is full of incredible new spots to get your grub on.
3. It's official: Houston's newest shopping mecca opens with tony stores, neighborhood vibe — and no potholes. After nearly a decade of planning and construction, Houston's newest mixed-use complex is ready for business and features some of the top luxury stores in the city.
4. List of Top 100 Public Universities includes six from Texas, including the No. 1 school in the nation. A recent list of the best public universities found that the University of Texas ranks No. 1 in the nation, and five other Texas institutions were named in the Top 100.
5. Elton John's gift to MFAH in honor of chair Lynn Wyatt takes Grand Gala Ball to $2 million mark. Get the inside scoop on the Houston socialite's unbelievably lavish gala filled with celebrity guests to raise funds for the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston.