Editor’s note: Another week has passed by, but we’ve got your back with a recap of the most popular stories on CultureMap from this past week:
1. Houston's most-anticipated summer restaurant openings: 17 new must-try eateries. With so many exciting restaurant openings expected this summer, CultureMap food editor Eric Sandler rounded up the best of what's coming soon to Houston's food scene, including the trifecta of Bernadine's, Hunky Dory and Foreign Correspondents from Treadsack (of Down House and D&T Drive-Inn) and upscale butcher shop and steakhouse B&B Butchers.
2. The wait is over: Chinatown's best restaurant has opened in Montrose — and it's really good. After several months of anticipation, the much-beloved Chinatown restaurant Mala Sichuan finally opened the doors of its second location. It serves up authentic Chinese cuisine as well as as tasty new additions like green peppercorn beef and dry pot prawns.
3. Matthew McConaughey expounds on 13 personal truths in disjointed yet poignant UH commencement speech. The University of Houston shelled out $135,000 to lure the Academy Award-winner as commencement speaker and the reviews were mixed. McConaughey shared his personal truths — and a number of off-color stories.
4. Houston's Best Restaurants: These 7 eateries lead city's dining scene to greatness. As part of CultureMap's Tastemaker Awards 2015, a panel of industry insiders selected seven restaurants that are leading Houston's culinary movement.
5. Heights Tex-Mex joint stands on its own as restaurant group ends partnership. The El Cantina Superior on Studewood, which opened in 2014, has underwent an exciting transformation following operations assistance from local restaurant group F.E.E.D. TX, known for Liberty Kitchen, BRC and Petite Sweets. But that's over now.