We asked 10 of Houston's standout singles where they hang out, what they're passionate about and more. Heating things up on a cold winter's day as spring approaches, click through for the latest edition of Houston's Most Eligible Bachelors and Bachelorettes.
Know of someone who should be on the list? Write in and nominate your favorites. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Height: My drivers license says 5'2"
Zodiac Sign: Aquarius
I Woke Up Like This...
If you don’t speak Spanish, this sexy media personality will make you wish you did. Get your fill of the Venezuelan/Ecuadorian beauty in the mornings on radio show Mega en us Mañanas on Mega 101 and on TV's Telemundo Network, where she works as a reporter.
1) Ideal mate: A man who can hold an intelligent conversation and make me laugh. Also, manners go a long way.
2) How would your friends describe you? Awesome because I am. I’m loving, caring, funny and a little crazy. (I asked my girlfriend to describe me to make sure I got this right.)
3) Weekend hangout spot: Walking the trails at Memorial or Allen Parkway, then grabbing a bite to eat. I'm a foodie, so I like trying new restaurants.
4) Who has had the most influence on your life? My parents. They're my world. They taught me to be a strong, independent woman who can achieve anything.
5) Favorite toy growing up: Barbie, of course.
6) Last concert you attended: Prince Royce (Bachata/Latin music singer). I introduced him at his concert at the Houston Toyota Center. It was an amazing experience.
Zodiac Sign: Pisces
This Southern charmer, born in Brunswick, Ga., is equal parts genuine, outgoing and witty. Get to know him better through his blog, The Monster Lifestyle, and radio show. The fashion savvy entrepreneur also owns on-line boutique for men, Irdobi.
1) Ideal mate: She has personality, intellect and a sense of humor. And she can handle the fact that I'm corny, family-oriented and a food lover.
2) Weekend hangout spot: Poison Girl, then bar hopping with friends.
3) What did you want to be when you grew up? A NASCAR driver. It seemed like a cool job.
4) Best pick-up line you’ve used: Pick-up lines aren't really my strong suit. Plus, it must not have been great since I'm still single.
5) Where’s your happy place? The beach.
6) Salty or sweet? Both.
7) Favorite toy growing up: Hot Wheels.
8) Last concert you attended: Toro y Moi.
9) Volunteer work: I host events to raise money for local charitable organizations (especially non-profits that support cancer, which has special meaning to me).
Zodiac Sign: Gemini, but I don't follow horoscopes in the slightest.
You Make Loving Fun...
The energetic single, who works at Morgan Stanley, enjoys tunes by Fleetwood Mac, corny jokes and evenings out on the town. “Not many nights are spent in front of the TV,” the always-on-the-go bachelorette states.
1) Ideal mate: A ring-less left hand to start. In all seriousness, though, I'd like to find a man with drive — a go-getter who knows what he wants and has a can-do attitude. That kind of confidence, plus a sense of humor, is a winning combination.
2) What did you want to be when you grew up? An actress. So not my personality — it's funny that I used to want that.
3) Best pick-up line you’ve received: Pick-up lines are too cheesy, even for me. Ask me for a list of worst lines.
4) Where’s your happy place? Big family dinners at my mom's place. My family members are scattered; nights we spend together are all the more enjoyable.
5) Favorite toy growing up: Skip-It.
6) Last concert you attended: Fleetwood Mac.
7) Volunteer work: Breeders Greeters committee for the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo.
Age: Young at heart
Zodiac Sign: Libra
The SportsTalk 790 color commentator and former Houston Oilers head coach is fair game for the right woman. To score a date, you should be trustworthy, outgoing and, of course, like sports.
1) How would your friends describe you? Outgoing, sociable, dependable and fun-loving.
2) Weekend hangout spot: The YMCA and the golf course. And Shipley Do-Nuts in the morning.
3) What did you want to be when you grew up? I've wanted to be a coach since the sixth grade.
4) Best pick-up line you’ve used: "Have you seen an NFL football ring?" Also, "Excuse me, but you look like someone I've seen before."
5) Where’s your happy place? Wherever I am.
6) Who has had the most influence on your life? My high school football coach, Ken Powers.
7) Favorite toy growing up: Train set.
8) Last concert you attended: It was a long time ago. Not my cup of tea.
9) Favorite thing about Houston: The people are friendly and there are lots of activities.
Zodiac Sign: Pisces
The executive assistant and Vinyasa (breath-synchronized movement) yoga instructor is looking to stretch her heart for the perfect guy.
1) Ideal mate: I’d like a weirdo with an edge, please. I adore a logical and analytical mind. He's also playful and witty, values communication, respects money and adores me. It's a bonus if he's well traveled and cultured. Extra bonus points if he already has kids and isn't religious.
2) Weekend hangout spot: A good Zumba class so I can get my dance fix. In the evenings, dinner and drinks with friends.
3) What did you want to be when you grew up? An entrepreneur because I have too many things I’d like to create in this world. I’m a perpetual achiever. Each day’s significance is determined by what I’ve created and completed.
4) Best pick-up line you’ve received: “Are you Australian? Because you meet all my koala-fications.”
5) Where’s your happy place? Dancing around the house or relaxing with my son.
6) Salty or sweet? Together. I prefer a balanced mix.
7) Last concert you attended: Katy Perry (my friend had suite tickets).
JOSHUA DAVID MARTINEZ
Zodiac Sign: Virgo
You Had Me at Fried Chicken…
"We're truly lucky to be in Houston at this very moment," the owner of The Modular food truck and The Chicken Ranch says referring to the city's melting pot of nationalities and their influence on the local food scene. The eligible bachelor is looking to heat things up with a lady who is "...ambitious and can keep up with my antics."
1) How would your friends describe you? As a fly by the seat of your pants guy who is also very grounded when it come to practical issues.
2) Weekend hangout spot: Unusual places. The Sunny Flea Market is my all-time favorite date spot. And I love to go off the grid and enjoy quiet time.
3) What did you want to be when you grew up? A firefighter.
4) Best pick-up line you’ve used: I’m not much for pick-up lines. I’m not that suave.
5) Where’s your happy place? The Rothko Chapel.
6) Who has had the most influence on your life? My grandmother hands down.
7) Salty or sweet? Salty all day.
8) Favorite toy growing up: A toy monkey from Neiman Marcus that my father got for me when we first moved to the U.S. from Mexico.
9) Last concert you attended: Death from Above 1979 at Warehouse Live.
Zodiac Sign: Sagittarius
Take Me to San Juan...
The manager of administrative services, who just celebrated 16 years with The Alexander Group executive search firm, is originally from Puerto Rico. She lived several places overseas before moving to Houston for her father’s job with an international construction company.
1) Ideal mate: A guy who treasures his woman. He's comfortable openly sharing his feelings and interested in mine. Other traits include: honesty, trustworthy, genuine, health-conscious, active, attractive, strong-yet-gentle and take-charge but not controlling.
2) Weekend hangout spot: Depending on the season/weather, outdoors taking a walk, riding my bike, in the pool or on a restaurant patio.
3) Best pick-up line you’ve received: “You have movie star eyes.”
4) Where’s your happy place? Curled up on my couch with my cat (or future significant other), a good book or movie, and glass of red wine.
5) Who has had the most influence on your life? My mother. She was a beautiful, gracious, talented, spiritual and loving woman. I have always aspired to be like her.
6) Salty or sweet? Too difficult to choose. I love both.
7) Volunteer work: I've done work for both Houston Proud and the Sugar Land Animal Shelter. I’ve also fostered pets for BARC.
Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Up, Up and Away…
The native Houstonian, who works for his family-owned oil and gas company, has his pilot's license and is happiest when cruising blue skies at 8,000 feet while listening to XM radio.
1) Ideal mate: A girl who gets me. She's sincere, honest, outgoing and open to new adventures and experiences. More importantly, we'd have a strong mental connection as well as a physical attraction.
2) How would your friends describe you? Adventuresome, nice, cool and an all-around great guy.
3) Weekend hangout spot: Out at the airport; I love flying. I also enjoy hanging out with family and friends.
4) What did you want to be when you grew up? I have a strong entrepreneurial drive and I knew I’d be able to apply it to building and expanding my family's business.
5) Best pick-up line you’ve used: “Is there an airport nearby? Because my heart just took off.”
6) Salty or sweet? I’m definitely a salty guy. I’m a sucker for chips, crackers, pretzels, popcorn, trail mix, etc.
7) Last concert you attended: Matisyahu at House of Blue Dallas with some good friends.
Zodiac Sign: Cancer
Just Say Oui...
The risk analyst for an international oil and gas trading company is from France, but fell in love with Texas while attending the University of Texas at Austin. “I decided to never move back... (and) here I am nine years later.”
1) Ideal mate: Smart, trustful and respectful. Ideally, he'll travel the world with me. And make me laugh every day.
2) How would your friends describe you? Adventurous and warmhearted. A wanderlust who lives life to the fullest.
3) Weekend hangout spot: Cafe Brasil eating blueberry pancakes, the pool or the Houston Racquet Club playing tennis.
4) What did you want to be when you grew up? A pilot (to explore the world).
5) Best pick-up line you’ve received: “I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?”
6) Salty or sweet? Definitely sweet (especially crepes).
7) Last concert you attended: A llama making groaning noises in Chile a month ago. Absolutely priceless.
8) Volunteer work: I'm an ambassador of InterNations-Houston (expatriates network).
Height: 6’ 2”
Zodiac Sign: Gemini
It's What's for Dinner
The native Houstonian is chief marketing and operations officer at BoyarMiller law firm. Spontaneous, fun-loving, loyal and generous, he's not all about work. "I can whip up a serious bananas Foster.”
1) Ideal mate: He’s smart, kind, makes me laugh, hovers near the 6’ mark (I’m a tall guy), has deep-rooted friendships and smiles with his eyes. He’ll learn everything about me – good and bad – and love me anyway.
2) Weekend hangout spot: If there’s an art opening in town, I’m probably there. And I love a great Bloody Mary, so brunch is usually on the calendar.
3) Where’s your happy place? In San Miguel de Allende with great music, good tequila and the best of friends. Also, I'd be lying if I didn't say that a Nordstrom shoe sale brings me more than a little joy.
4) Who has had the most influence on your life? My best friend Diane Barber. We met in high school and have talked nearly every day since. She keeps me grounded and calls me out on my BS. As long as she’s on the planet, I have unconditional love. That’s pretty influential.
5) Salty or sweet? Sriracha.
6) Favorite toy growing up: I coveted my neighbor’s Easy Bake Oven. It started my love of cooking (and eating).
7) Last concert you attended: Rick Springfield at the Hobby Center.