Sports and food: Those are two things that CultureMap readers can't get enough of.
Thanks to Google, we can easily determine the most popular stories on CM every year. In 2014, Jeremy Lin was the big winner, with five stories by Chris Baldwin in the Top 10. Baldwin's column on the final four teams selected for the inaugural NCAA football championship also drew a lot of attention — along with a ton of heated comments. It's always fun to read the comments on Baldwin's columns as he compels readers to express themselves in unique ways.
Eric Sandler, our food writer extraordinaire, also stirred up the pot with his list of best crawfish restaurants and most overrated eateries — both of which drew a lot of reader comments. In-N-Out Burger's continued snub of Houston and the Tex-Mex drama over a Webster outpost of the popular El Tiempo chain also generated a lot of attention.
An inside look at Houston's most expensive home for sale made the list of most popular stories. It was part of Barbara Kuntz's continuing series that looks at the most interesting homes on the market. It seems we all love to look at fabulous houses — and dream.
CultureMap's Most Popular Stories in 2014:
1. Jeremy Lin unfairly crucified as McHale throws him under bus, while Beverley given free pass for turnover
2. The 10 Best Crawfish Restaurants in Houston: Honor thy mudbugs by eating them right
3. Undeserving Ohio State fraud enabled by Herbstreit: TCU & Baylor ridiculously robbed, but Horned Frogs have the bigger beef
4. Absurd Jeremy Lin trade compounded by cheap stance on Chandler Parsons: Morey saves money, ruins Rockets
5. Jeremy Lin robbed of chance to save Rockets from James Harden's Hero Ball and Patrick Beverley's bad D
6. Houston's Most Overrated Restaurants: Fearless list calls out the hype mongers— sorry Uchi
7. In-N-Out Burger snubs Houston for yet another new Texas city: Why the fast food cult fears H-Town
8. Mark Cuban is not impressed with Austin's University of Texas college scene: Billionaire wants more options
9. Jeremy Lin sure to get last laugh on suddenly classless, clueless Rockets: Where in the world is Alexander?
10. Jeremy Lin teaches McHale a lesson in team ball: Idiotic Linsanity talk silly, it's about coach finding sanity
11. Tex-Mex Drama: Restaurant dispute leads to a federal lawsuit, kills local chain's expansion
12. Houston's most expensive home ever: $43 million super mansion hits the market, shatters records