Space Center Houston presents Apollo Anniversary Celebration
All eyes will be on Houston, the home of human spaceflight, as the world celebrates the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 lunar landing and Neil Armstrong’s first steps on the Moon on July 20. Guests can meet Apollo legends, see the restored Apollo Mission Control Center, and celebrate the legacy of the Apollo-era and the future of space exploration.
There will be an array of space-themed events launching the anniversary of the Apollo 11 liftoff on July 16 through the mission’s conclusion when the astronauts safely splashed down back on Earth on July 24. There will be Apollo 11-themed Pop-Up Science Labs, Mission Briefings on the Apollo 11 mission, and special NASA Tram Tours featuring the restored Apollo Mission Control Center.
Space Center Houston’s lunar event schedule includes:
- July 16: Lunch with Apollo Flight Controllers - Attendees will be seated to enjoy a catered lunch with an Apollo-era flight controller and learn about their experiences, memories, and learnings.
- July 18: Lunch with the Children of Apollo - Dine in style while enjoying a panel discussion featuring children of Apollo-era astronauts and flight controllers sharing memories and reflecting on their experiences growing up with fathers who played pivotal roles in the Apollo-era mission. The panel will include Jeff and Barbara Lovell, Amy Bean, Tracy Cernan Woolie, and Gwen Griffin (moderator).
- July 18: Space on Screen with Dinner: Armstrong - A new dramatic, moving and deeply human documentary, Armstrong offers the definitive life story of Neil Armstrong: from his childhood in Ohio to his first steps on the Moon and beyond, using home videos shot by the man himself and unseen footage from NASA.
- July 19: Lessons from Mission Control - Legendary NASA flight director Gene Kranz will provide a special talk after a plated dinner reflecting on the creation of the Apollo Mission Control Center and its historic significance during the Apollo 11 landing.
- July 20: Apollo 11 50th Live at Space Center Houston - The celebrations will include a countdown to Neil Armstrong’s first steps on the Moon at 9:56 pm CST, late night NASA Tram Tours to Rocket Park and Apollo Mission Control Center, notable speakers, book signings, an outdoor festival with a concert featuring performances by WALK THE MOON and Phillip Phillips, a family STEM zone, and more. VIP packages will be available and a special ticket will be required for all visitors on this day. General admission tickets are not valid on July 20, 2019.
- July 24: Lunch with Apollo Flight Controllers - Attendees will be seated to enjoy a catered lunch with an Apollo-era flight controller and learn about their experiences, memories, and learnings.
- July 24: Apollo 11 Mission Splashdown Party - Experience a 1960s-themed evening bash with live music and activities surrounded by Space Center Houston’s extensive collection of Apollo-era artifacts, as well as lots of interactive exhibits and activities featuring the exciting present and future of human space exploration.