The Italian Cultural & Community Center presents 2018 Contemporary Italian Film Series
The Contemporary Film Series is a monthly recurring event from January to May. All films are shown in Italian with English subtitles and snacks and beverages are provided to all film-goers.
The following films will be screened:
- January 17: Detective Montalbano; directed by Alberto Sironi; starring Luca Zingaretti, Cesare Bocci, Peppino Mazzotta and Angelo Russo. (2017 release, 100 minutes each)
- February 21: La eritas ta in cielo (The Truth Lies in Heaven); directed by Roberto Faenza; starring Riccardo Scamarcio, Maya Sansa and Greta Scarano. (2016 release, 94 minutes) Plot: On June 22, 1983, Emanuela Orlandi, a 15-year-old Vatican citizen disappears out of the center of Rome, beginning one of the most clamorous unsolved cases in Italy. An English journalist is sent to discover where it all began with the help of another journalist. Together they will uncover the truth behind this mysterious disappearance.
- March 28: Smetto quando voglio: Masterclass (I Can Quite Whenever I Want: Masterclass); directed by Sidney Sibilia; starring Edoardo Leo, Valerio Aprea and Stefano Fresi. (2017 release, 118 minutes) Plot: The sequel to 2014 film “Smetto quando voglio”. A fired university researcher and chemist joins together a group of colleagues to sell a non-illegal drug, which eventually lands them in trouble with other dealers and the law. In order to remove their problems and make a deal to get out of prison, the group gets back together to help police track down new drugs on the market.
- April 18: Fai bei sogni (Sweet Dreams); directed by Marco Bellocchio; starring Berenice Bejo, Valerio Mastandrea and Fabrizio Gifuni. (2016 release, 131 minutes) Plot: Massimo’s idyllic childhood is shattered by the death of his mother. He struggles to accept this and believe his mother is still alive, temporarily residing elsewhere. Years later, he is forced to relive his traumatic past. Elisa, a compassionate doctor, could be the one to help him open up and confront his childhood wounds.
- May 16: Veloce come il Vento (Italian Race); directed by Matteo Rovere; starring Stefano Accorsi, Matilda De Angelis and Giuseppe Gaiani. (2016 release, 118 minutes) Plot: Giulia has a promising future in GT racing. When her life falls apart, her only hope is her brother, a drug addict and former rally champion.