Houston Iranian Film Festival
The Houston Iranian Film Festival, established by the MFAH and Rice Cinema, celebrates its 25th anniversary in 2018. One of last year’s films - Asghar Farhadi’s The Salesman - went on to win the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film, and this year’s selections include Iran’s latest Oscar entry, Breath. One of several narratives by and about young Iranian women, Breath - like Tehran Taboo - features innovative animation. 24 Frames, the mesmerizing, experimental last film by internationally celebrated filmmaker Abbas Kiarostami (1940–2016), screens at both the MFAH and Rice Cinema.
Films will include:
- January 19: Breath (Nafas) - A bittersweet family drama about a spirited little girl surrounded by war in the late 1970s, Breath is Iran’s entry for Best Foreign Language Film at the 2018 Academy Awards. In Farsi with English subtitles.
- January 20 (7 pm): Ava - Coming of age in Iran, Ava faces pressure to conform to the expectations of her parents, her school, and her teenaged friends. When she learns that her parents were once flagrant rule-breakers themselves, Ava begins to rebel, pitting her parents against each other. In Farsi with English subtitles.
- January 20 (9 pm): Tehran Taboo - This edgy, animated film follows three strong-willed women and one young man who cross paths in Tehran while each pursues morally questionable activities. In Farsi with English subtitles; for adult audiences.
- January 26: Disappearance (Napadid shodan) - Set over the course of one long night, a teen couple visits a series of hospitals, terrified that their first romantic encounter may have dire consequences.
- January 27: 24 Frames - A contemplative photo-film essay started by filmmaker Abbas Kiarostami and, after his death in 2016, completed by his son Ahmad, the film comprises short vignettes based on photographs Abbas Kiarostami took over 40 years.
- January 28: Negar - An absorbing drama about a woman seeking the truth about her father’s death, Negar is a mystery-thriller with a touch of the supernatural.