Houston Cinema Arts Festival and 14 Pews present Five in Houston
14 Pews will present the world premiere of Five in Houston, a collection of short documentaries on Houston artists Will Loyd, Bill Megenhardt, Jesse Lott, Terrell James, and Nestor Topchy. All the documentaries were shot with the help of film students in the 14 Pews Film Academy 2016.
- William Loyd: The Documentary is a short documentary shot over the course of three years following Houston art activist William Loyd and his transgender wife, Nikki Araguz-Loyd as they fight for their right to be married, while Will becomes more committed to his art and activism. (20 minutes)
- Bill Megenhardt: The Documentary is a short documentary highlighting a talented children’s book illustrator Bill Megenhardt as he visits schools and zoos sharing his enthusiasm to create art. (10 minutes)
- Jesse Lott: The Documentary is a short documentary allowing us to peek into the life of one of Houston’s most well-known African-American artists as he prepares for his most recent show at the Art League Houston, where he is given the Lifetime Achievement Award. (20 minutes)
- Terrell James: The Documentary is a short documentary highlighting one of the most known abstract painters in Texas. The documentary follows as James moves into her new studio and prepares for her opening at the Art League Houston, where she has been named Artist of the Year. (10 minutes)
- Nestor Topchy: The Documentary is a short documentary highlighting the multi-talented Houston artist and his influence on the Houston art scene since the mid-'80s. (20 minutes)