Fourth of July Celebration at Bayou Bend
Bayou Bend Collection and Gardens presents its seventh annual Fourth of July festival, which includes performers, crafts, activities and refreshments. A schedule of activities appears below.
- 1-3:30 p.m. - Texas Army Fife & Drum Corps.
- 3 p.m. - Join the parade march from Bayou Bend's visitor center to the historic property.
- 1:15 p.m. - Celtaire String Band, Colonial Music Adventure.
- 2:30 p.m - Mark Seale Trio, Gershwin Swing: American Music of the 1920s–1930s 3:15 p.m.—John Keahey reads The Declaration of Independence.
- 3:45 p.m. - Lonestar Bluegrass Band, American Bluegrass Standards.
Kilroy Visitor and Education Center – Bailey Room
- 1-4:30 p.m. - Picture Yourself with the Pembertons (18th-century portraits of a brother and sister); photo opportunity stations.
- 1-3 p.m. - Susan Kelm, Early American Fiddle Songs (sing-along).
- 2 p.m. - Constance O'Brien, Betsy Ross: American Hero (a 40-minute one-woman show on the life of Betsy Ross).
- 4 p.m. - Betsy Ross flag-making art workshop.
- Sign the Declaration of Independence: Use a quill pen to add your signature to an oversized copy of Thomas Jefferson's historic document.
- 1-3 p.m. and 4-4:45 p.m. - Soldiers of the Revolutionary War: Historical re-creator John Keahey and his team take you back to the American Revolution for a look at the uniforms, equipment and weapons used on both sides to fight the war.
- 1-3 p.m. and 4-4:30 p.m. - Craft Activities: Make painted fireworks and stars and stripes parade wands.
- 1-4:45 p.m. - Games of Early America: Enjoy the diversions and games of U.S. forefathers with a collection of reproduction toys.
- 1-3 p.m. - House Tours: Visit the first floor of the historic home to see furnishings and art that existed in cities like Philadelphia, Boston, Newport and other major sites during the Revolutionary War.
- Flag Hunt: Find strategically hidden American flags on the property. Scavenger hunt sheets can be picked up at the Westcott Gazebo, just across the bridge.
- Girl Scouts "Celebrating Community" Badge: Girl Scout Brownies will be able to earn all of the requirements for the Celebrating Community badge by participating in the activities on this day. Badge must be purchased separately. A guide sheet will be available at entry detailing the badge-related activities. Girls and their guardians are encouraged to arrive at the beginning of the event to have time to complete all activities.