FotoFest 2014 "View from the Inside: Conference on Visual Art in the Arab World"
Founded in 1983, FotoFest created the first international biennial of photography and photo-related art in the United States, held biennially since 1986. Speakers at the conference include lead curator Karin Adrian von Roques; FotoFest artistic director Wendy Watriss; Ussama Makdisi, Rice University; Maya El Khalil, Athr Gallery; Stephen Stapleton, Edge of Arabia; Salwa Mikdadi, NYU Abu Dhabi; and others.
Biennial artists featured in the conference include Rula Halawani, Ahmed Jadallah, Huda Lutfi, Ahmed Mater, Samer Mohdad, Steve Sabellah and others.
- FotoFest 2014 Biennial - "View from the Inside"
- Curatorial Overview: The Exhibitions and Forums
- What is the Arab World?
- Art and Culture in the Arab Worlds: Historical Overview and Art in the Arab World Today
- History of Photography in the Arab World
- From Palestine to Berlin: Making Contemporary Art between Cultures
- Occidentalism–Orientalism, From Colonialism to Facebook
- Roundtable: "From the Grassroots to the World Stage: Photography in Saudi Arabia," presented with Edge of Arabia
- A Changing World, The Role of the Artist
- Roundtable: "Gender in the Photographic Arts, Middle East and North Africa"
- Mixing Media—From Photography to Video and Social Media
- Roundtable: "Looking at the Future—Viewpoints"
A reception to meet some of the speakers and artists, with a book signing, follows.