The Ensemble Theatre presents Celebrity Staged Reading of Fences
The Ensemble Theatre continues its celebration of Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright August Wilson’s American Century Cycle with a celebrity staged reading of Fences.
The theatre is celebrating Wilson’s 70th birthday and commemorating the 10th anniversary of his passing with monthly staged readings of all 10 plays of his American Century Cycle.
In this powerful and dramatically compelling work that won Wilson the 1987 Pulitzer Prize and Tony Award, Troy Maxson is a trash-collector and former baseball athlete who is struggling to provide for his family. He has been hardened by life in an America where to be proud and black was to face pressures that could crush a man, body and soul. But the grit of 1950s is yielding to this new spirit of liberation ushered in by the 1960s. It’s a spirit that is changing the world Troy Maxson has learned to deal with the only way he can…a spirit that is making him stranger, angry, and afraid in a world he never knew and to a wife and son he understands less and less.
Cast members include:
- Marcus Davis, Owner of The Breakfast Klub
- Melanie Lawson, ABC 13 Anchor
- Jerome Gray, METRO VP & Senior Press Officer (Former KPRC 2 Anchor)
- KG Smooth, KMJQ Majic 102.1
- Antonio Washington, Prairie View A & M University Student
- Kayden Johnson, The Ensemble Theatre Young Performer
- Anthony August , Texas Southern University Student